"...The revelation! It freed me, it killed me."
This article contains spoilers and plot details from Prototype 2.
Read the article at your own risk.
After the second outbreak in 2010, the city has been locked by the US Military and Blackwatch. There's no way to get in or out of New York without Blackwatch's authorization. Most of New York has been either destroyed or infected by the Virus other than the Green Zone. There are various number of infected roaming around New York killing and infecting each citizen. Due to this, Blackwatch populates most of New York and regulates the areas, but they often act as tyrants rather than guardians to the people.
Alex Mercer broke a vial containing a re-purposed virus in Penn station. This resulted in the death of the citizens within. However after the escape of Elizabeth Greene from Gentek facility, the infection was accelerated and started to spread around the city. Blackwatch was deployed to contain the situation.
A constant war is raged between two factions; an army of Infected led by Elizabeth Greene and Blackwatch, a black ops military force who are trying to control the spread of infection at cost of many innocent lives.
The Three ZonesEdit
Fourteen months later, the city is now known as New York Zero (NYZ). Even though Elizabeth Greene is gone, Mercer had purposely re-released the virus from Penn Station. New York Zero is now divided into three completely distinct zones. Each zone is designed to have a different feel to it. Areas like the Green Zone seem peaceful but, areas like the Red Zone are unlivable and hopeless to the people.
- Green Zone: Where the people live free of the fear of infection caused by the viral outbreak, yet under oppression from the Blackwatch forces. Most civilians still do what they would before the outbreak despite the threats of the infected. This area is mainly influenced and populated by the military. Most threats in the green zone are mainly insidous and secretive unlike the other zones where they are more completely open by the military.
- Yellow Zone: A quarantined zone where citizens are under suppression of Blackwatch. It is heavily influenced by the military and is extremely regulated. If civilians decide to travel they have to proceed through multiple checkpoints. This zone is overcrowded with camps and shanty towns of refugees while the virus slowly grows here. Blackwatch is also using this zone as a research site. A lot of civilians are found caged throughout the Yellow Zone and are used mainly for research by Blackwatch.
- Red Zone: The Red Zone portrays a nightmarish vision where the Blacklight virus has completely overrun the city’s shattered skyscrapers and population, with infection and the risk of death at every corner. This is the zone where Alex Mercer resides, and is crawling with deadly mutant creatures. It is the largest out of the three zones and is mainly populated by infected.
- The Red Zone is the Manhattan Island, displayed in Prototype.
- The Green and Yellow zones are a combination of Brooklyn, Queens, Long Island and Staten Island. The two zones contain the most interesting aspect of the different areas and boroughs.